BENJAMIN M. ROYSTER
Ben is a partner in the firm's litigation practice group. He regularly handles matters involving Criminal Defense, Traffic Violations, DMV Hearings and Personal Injury on behalf of individuals and businesses in Surry and Stokes Counties. Prior to joining Royster and Royster, he worked as an assistant district attorney for the Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office in Charlotte, NC. He spent the first two years in District Court trying traffic offenses, DWIs, general misdemeanors and domestic violence cases. Ben practiced exclusively in Superior Court during his final seven years in the office, trying serious felony cases, including drug offenses and violent crimes. Ben was recognized by his peers as a North Carolina Super Lawyer Rising Star in 2010.
Ben grew up in Pilot Mountain, NC. He graduated from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in 1999 receiving a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science. After graduating from UNC, he attended North Carolina Central School of Law, receiving his law degree, cum laude, in 2005. Ben is licensed to practice in North Carolina.
Ben enjoys spending time with his wife, Sara, and daughters, Shelby and Caroline, outside of court. He also enjoys going to church, travelling and following his beloved Tar Heels.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Defense 60%
- Personal Injury 40%
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- North Carolina, 2005
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: cum laude
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- B.A. - 1999
- Major: Political Science
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers - Rising Star
- AV Rating - Martindale-Hubbell
Past Employment Positions
- Mecklenburg County District Attorney's Office, Attorney, 2005 to 2014
Pro Bono Activities
- Vice Chair - Criminal Justice Section - Mecklenburg County Bar Association, 2013 to 2014
- Bar Leadership Institute - Mecklenburg County Bar, 2009
- Sigma Phi Epsilon